Friday 20 March 2009

Do or Die

I have a right to life. I have a whole load of human rights. But utterly bizarrely, I don't have the right to decide when I die.

It is illegal for me to commit suicide. It is illegal for someone to assist me commit suicide. But if I truck off to the land of cuckoo clocks and am assisted on my way by someone else, the CPS aren't going to prosecute me.

The law is once again an ass.

Patricia the Stripper is doing her bit to point this out, but where is the leadership from Government, the Tories, the Loony Dems? All the polling I have seen reflects the courts, the CPS and the police's disinclination to prosecute anyone. We are like Ireland on abortion: don't do it here (but if you pop off quietly somewhere else to do it we'll turn a blind eye).

Having seen the utterly horrible indignity of death at first hand with my father, my mother, Mrs C's mother and most recently my brother-in-law, I for one am keen to control the 'when' and 'how' I die.

Are politicians so afraid of the religious zealots that will shout and scream at them? Pathetic.

No comments: